Senior Legal Counsel – Organisation
Permanent role* / full time
*offered on a 12 month contract basis initially, with possibility of extension / move to permanent contract.
Greenpeace is a global campaigning network. It comprises 26 independent national/regional organisations, and a coordinating organisation, Greenpeace International. Greenpeace uses peaceful, creative confrontation to expose global environmental problems, and develop solutions for a green and peaceful future.
Together we are stronger! Now more than ever, our fragile earth deserves a voice. It needs change. It needs action and solutions. It needs you.
Greenpeace International (GPI) is seeking a Senior Legal Counsel Organisation to provide independent, solutions-oriented legal advice and support on strategic and operational organisational matters. This will include advising on and leading projects with a legal scope, in order to protect GPl’s integrity, organisation, people, assets and ability to take risks, as well as to further our objectives and support the development and implementation of the Global Legal Strategy, in cooperation with the General Counsel.
You will also provide high level strategic legal advice to the independent National and Regional Organisations (NROs) on legal matters, with a focus on governance related issues. It will be part of your role to oversee the Legal Unit’s Organisation pillar, by providing pastoral line management to direct reports, and through the sharing of knowledge, expertise and ideas improve the overall output of the team.
In this role you will:
- Provide independent strategic and operational legal advice and support to GPI Council, Board, International Executive Director, Senior Management and other bodies on governance, corporate structure, registration and other organisational matters, to ensure compliance, transparency and accountability.
- Provide legal advice to all GPI’s functions, units and departments including on the following legal issues: contracts; policies; compliance; entities; privacy; and intellectual property.
- Represent the Legal Unit in cross-departmental discussions.
- Provide strategic advice and support on governance, registration and compliance issues to the independent NROs.
- Provide strategic and operational legal advice on the bilateral relationship between GPI and each of the NROs.
- Participate in the GPI Critical Incident Management Team and other crisis management situations, and build resilience across the Greenpeace network in collaboration with the International Development Department.
- Maintain relevant legal networks and represent Greenpeace International for pro bono advice.
- Develop and provide training on relevant legal issues in order to guide and to spread knowledge and use of legal standards and best practices.
- Develop and/or manage legal information systems, legal intranet website, library and mailing lists, to ensure centralised and accessible legal information.
- Promote awareness of and provide guidance on the Global Legal Strategy, with a focus on the protection of organisational integrity.
- Take full line management responsibilities for the Associate Legal Counsel and Legal Counsel Organisation, plus any interns, including recruitment and team management/development, as well as leading on complex issues and assuming mid-level budget holder responsibilities.
- Manage Greenpeace’s trademark programme and other intellectual properties.
- Ensure legal representation of GPI in disputes on commercial and other organisational issues (litigation and non-litigation), in cooperation with the General Counsel, selecting and instructing external counsel where needed.
What we’re looking for:
- University degree in Dutch law and Dutch bar registration.
- Substantial and demonstrable experience working as an attorney (advocaat) and/or company lawyer in the Netherlands, in a commercial law practice.
- Good knowledge and experience of corporate administration and governance both in an international and Dutch context.
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of Dutch employment, contract, corporate and commercial law; with a track record of upholding compliance.
- Demonstrable understanding of and ability to mitigate cross liability risks
- Experience in civil and/or administrative litigation (preferred)
- Ability to develop, implement and manage complex projects and to guide legal project teams.
- Knowledge of human rights law is an added value (preferred).
- Management experience with proven ability to build effective teams (preferred)
- Demonstrable commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and ability to lead and collaborate with cross-cultural teams.
- Exceptional influencing skills, plus strong negotiation, conflict resolution, communication and presentation skills; ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Strong ability to communicate complex legal issues, tailored to targeted audiences.
- Strong skills in capacity-building, training and knowledge transfer.
- Analytical skills and comfortable using data insights to make decisions.
- Fluent written and spoken Dutch and English, with other languages being an added value.
- Ability to work under pressure, with the flexibility to work on call, outside of normal business hours, and to travel if required.
- Support for and belief in the core aims and values of Greenpeace.
What we can offer you:
You’ll be encouraged to develop both personally and professionally, taking advantage of the wide range of learning and development opportunities available to our staff. The GPI Legal Unit also offers opportunities for in-house lawyers to grow professionally. Staff can also access our wellness initiatives.
Greenpeace International’s Legal Unit consists of a team of specialised lawyers that provide independent legal advice on:
- organisational matters both strategic and operational;
- risk management and strategic defence of campaigns, the organisation and staff;
- strategic litigation to advance the fight against environmental destruction; and
- advocacy efforts to strengthen environmental and human rights.
We share legal knowledge with other lawyers who work for the independent Greenpeace organisations across the globe, on such issues as environmental law and freedom of expression cases involving Greenpeace activists or organisations.
The Greenpeace International Legal Unit is a highly collaborative team of professionals. The Senior Legal Counsel Organisation leads the organisational pillar of the GPI Legal Unit. They line-manage and empower a small yet critical team of in-house organisation lawyers, including the Legal Counsel Organisation and Associate Legal Counsel Organisation. The Senior Legal Counsel Organisation works closely with the General Counsel, Senior Legal Counsel Strategic Defence, and Senior Legal Counsel Strategic Litigation. To learn more about the GPI Legal Unit, visit our webpage and read a recent Lawdragon article about the team.
We are looking for an energetic and resilient professional with a global mindset and the ability to see both the big picture and the interconnecting details from a legal perspective and at an organisational level. Someone who supports and believes in our core aims and values, is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and can inspire and empower others. If you meet these criteria, please click ‘apply for this job’ below, to visit our website begin your application.
If you have any questions about this vacancy or the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that all applications must be filled out via the website and can’t be submitted via this email.
Greenpeace International is an equal opportunity employer with a longstanding commitment of providing a work environment that respects the dignity and worth of each individual. We recognise and value the benefits and strengths that diversity brings to our employees and the whole organisation and we thrive in an environment that encourages respect and trust. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and would like to invite you especially to apply!
If you are passionate about our mission and you fit our profile then we would love to hear from you!
CLOSING DATE: 23:59 (CEST), 27th March 2022.Solliciteer